Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Kid Speak

The night we flew into NYC, Jake woke up in the middle of the night with an ear ache. (I'm guessing it was from the change in air pressure from the flight.) The four of us were sleeping in the same room, and Brian and I took turns trying to comfort and quiet Jacob through the pain so that he didn't wake anyone up, Makenna in particular. I had forgotten to pack any pain medication for the kids, and after a while it was apparent that Jake would need something in order to go back to sleep. So, Brian went out to find an open pharmacy and I lay next to my son trying to to distract him from the pain.
The room we were sleeping in shared a wall with Gordon's room, Brian's younger brother. Gordon doesn't sleep much. According to Grandma, he hasn't slept much longer than about 45 minutes since he was a baby. As Jake and I lay there, talking quietly and listening to Gordon play with his toys in the adjoining room, Jake turned to me and said very matter-of-factly, "Mom. Gordon's nocturnal." Yes, my son, you are exactly right. :)

No comments: