Friday, September 2, 2011

Aloha from Kauai

Whenever Brian and I talk about going on vacation, my first choice is Hawaii. We spent our honeymoon on the island of Maui and absolutely loved it! It was an incredible place to visit and I will always want to return. Funds for such a vacation, however, are not always available, and having small children can further complicates matters. Well, this summer marked 50 years of marriage for Brian's parents and they suggested a family celebration on the island of Kauai. How could we say no?
Though it was a very different experience from the first time we visited the Hawaiian Islands, we had a fabulous time. Kauai is called the Garden Isle and for good reason. I'm pretty sure that it rained at some point every day. Because of that, it was lush and green and absolutely beautiful.
And, thank goodness, Jacob and Makenna were great little travellers, even with the long flights and missed naps.


Jake loves the sandbox at home. What a treat to have a sandbox this big!!


We went to a luau dinner and show, complete with hula dancing and flame throwing. I thought it was excellent. Jacob sat on Daddy's lap through the entire show, his eyes glued to the stage and his hands clasped onto Daddy's shirt. I think he enjoyed it; it was just a little intense for a 3 year old boy. 



Brian, Frank, Danny, and I hiked a few miles of the Napali Coastline. Beautiful scenery.


I love Hawaii. Beautiful flowers, plants, and trees. Fresh, sweet, vine-ripened tropical fruit (had one of the best mangoes that I've eaten in a loooooong time!). Pristine waters full of amazing tropical fish. And the views! Oh the views! I think one of my favorites was that of the ocean and the palm trees seen right off the lanai of our condo. I kept telling Brian that I wanted to take the view home with me.



For some reason, Kauai is run amok with feral chickens, roosters, hens, and chicks alike.
Jake thought it was so fun to chase them.


All in all, we had a wonderful time with family that we don't get to see on a regular basis anymore. Happy 50th Anniversary to Mom & Dad Miller and mahalo again for a wonderful vacation.


3 comments:

talonandanna said...

oh you ENJOY miller family! so so much fun! can't wait to get back there!

Wendy said...

Thanks for the beautiful pictures! I'm glad it was a good time.

Stephanie said...

Love it! What a fun trip!